What we considermportant matters, differs from person to person. As I’m growing older and getting to have a deeper relationship with God, there are certain I no longer care much about. Often times I don’t want to succumb to what others expect of me. Most people love to hang out, but personally don’t care much for it. I would rather do what I feel like doing, irrespective of what anybody feels or thinks. As long as I’m not hurting anybody, right? :). And if I am not careful, I end up doing it with resentment, which is futile. I love spending time with my family, but when it comes to friends and brethren I’m totally the opposite. I don’t mind talking on the phone or texting though, when necessary. After church service, I so want just to head back home, as soon as I’m done. Nothing against anybody, but that’s how I feel. Because in me there is no desire for small talk. However, several people do.
At times other people believe when we spend time with each other, talking eating, and getting to know each other more and more, then that’s showing the love of God. Also giving each other gifts.Personally, I believe inherently doing those things is not wrong, but they don’t validate that there is love.’Cause one can do all that without love. That can actually promote getting into each other’s business, therefore encouraging gossip. Therefore these Scriptures are great for pointing me in the right way.
How to go about important matters
- Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus. Giving thanks to God the Father through Him Colossians 3:17. If I decide to hang out I need to do it as unto the Lord, not as a duty.
- Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people. Colossians 3:23
- Serve with good will, as to the Lord and not to men, because you know that the Lord rewards each one for whatever good they do. Whether they are slave or free Ephesians 6:7
- For whatever does not come from faith is a sin. Romans 14:23
- And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to Him must believe that God exists. And that He rewards those that diligently seek Him Hebrews 11:6
- But godliness with contentment is great gain 1 Timothy 6:6 An art we usually neglect, yet very important
- Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8
Doing the things that matter with a godly attitude
- Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit Philippians 2:3
- Philippians 2:4 Do not look out only for your own interests, but take an interest also in the affairs of others.
- Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That you may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. Philippians 2:14-15
- Psalm 90:11-12 Who can comprehend the power of your anger? Your wrath is as awesome as the fear you deserve.Teach us to realize the brevity of life,( teach us to number our days) so that we may grow in wisdom. Just by knowing that my life is transient,I am here today but will go to heaven later. I have to make use of this life. For I will be judged for what I did in this physical body.Whether good or better.